"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.


Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New Book On The "First Campaign"



First, my apologies for taking awhile to post.  Between various obligations and a much needed vacation, I've been lax in my writing over the past few weeks.

I'd like to congratulate my friend and fellow historian W. Hunter Lesser on the publication of his new book, The First Campaign:  A Guide to Civil War in the Mountains of West Virginia, 1861.  The book, published by Quarrier Press of Charleston, West Virginia, describes three one-day driving tours through the Allegheny Mountains region marched and fought over during the first year of the Civil War. 

As described by Hunter, "This guidebook offers three one-day driving tours filled with spellbinding scenery and adventure. Easy to follow directions, narratives and “fun facts” are your ticket to a delightful journey through these “enchanted” mountains."

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this (all the while remembering the treks that Hunter and I made through the back country), and hope to be able to travel back up to West Virginia to try out these routes for myself.  The book is priced at $15.95 (plus shipping and handling) and can be ordered through the West Virginia Book Company here.

No comments:

Post a Comment