"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.


Saturday, June 16, 2012

Augusta

This past Thursday evening I had the pleasure of speaking to the Sons of Confederate Veterans, E. Porter Alexander Camp #158.  My topic was the six companies of the First Georgia which were lost in the Allegheny Mountains during the retreat from Laurel Hill in July, 1861.  Two of the companies involved in this episode came from Augusta and Richmond County:  the Ogelthorpe Infantry and the Walker Light Infantry.  Many thanks to 1st Lt. Commander Lee Herron for the invitation to come, and to Camp Commander Ron Udell.  I was presented with a beautiful print showing the restored chimney from the old Confederate Powder Works.  Many thanks to everyone for their warm welcome.  Before leaving Augusta the next morning, I visited the gravesite of Lt. Col. James O. Clarke, which I wrote about in an earlier post.

No comments:

Post a Comment