"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.


Sunday, May 1, 2011

Then and Now

















The photographs above are from Fort Barrancas, near Pensacola, Florida, and were taken in 1861. (source:  Miller's Photographic History of the Civil War)  The First Georgia was well familiar with the fort, spending much time there moving guns, drilling, and standing guard.  Below are photos I took during a visit a couple of years ago. 



















-----------------------------------------------------
I wanted to send belated thank you's to the officers and members of two Sons of Confederate Veterans camps to whom I had the pleasure of speaking recently. On Tuesday April 19, I spoke to Camp #1946, the Col. John B. Palmer Camp of Burnsville, North Carolina; and on Thursday the 20th, I talked about the First Georgia to the Palmetto Sharpshooters Camp #1428 in Anderson, South Carolina. Many thanks for the gracious welcome I received from both camps.

No comments:

Post a Comment