"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.

Friday, March 9, 2012


On March 9, 1862, the First Georgia Volunteer Infantry arrived in Augusta.  The next day marked the end of a remarkable year in the lives of these soldiers.  The reception and final hours of the regiment were described in the Augusta Chronicle and Sentinel:

Arrival and Discharge of the First Georgia.

After many delays and disappointments the First Georgia Regiment unexpectedly arrived in our city, by a special train, early yesterday morning. As they were not looked for until about ten o’clock, but few of our citizens were at the depot to meet them. The young ladies had, on Saturday, tastefully decorated the depot with evergreens and flags, presenting a very pleasing effect. Over the carriage way leading to the depot, a very neat arch was thrown, and suspended from it the motto “A hearty welcome home.” A short distance up Reynolds street, a line of evergreenes with a wreath attached extended across the street.

The Ladies had prepared an enthusiastic reception for the “boys,” but their early arrival disconcerted the arrangements. They will, however, accept “the will for the deed;” our city companies, no doubt, found the “hearty welcome,” extended to them at their own firesides, after a year’s absence—a cordial recompense for all their privations, suffering and toil. The members of the regiment are all looking in fine health, and are ready to again march forth in defence of their country. Our city, with its accustomed liberality, extended to the regiment the hospitalities of the city and during their stay they will be well provided for as guests of the city.

During the day, many hearty reunions took place, and many a home rejoiced as loved ones gathered around the table and rehearsed the incidents of their twelve month campaign. We are sorry that the regiment has not reorganized under its old name, as all who remember Pensacola Laurel Hill, Green Brier, Bath and Romney, will point with pride to the record of the noble men who first rallied to the defence of their country, and have won an enviable fame as THE 1ST GEORGIA.

The members of the Regiment formed in front of the Georgia Railroad passenger depot this morning at 10 o’clock, after which they marched through Jackson street to Green, where a square was formed, in front of the Bell Tower, and Col RAMSAY, in a brief speech, addressed the Regiment. We are sorry we cannot give the gallant Colonel’s remarks in full, as his address was replete with eloquence and patriotism.

He returned thanks to the officers and men for the patience and zeal which had always marked their career, for the strict discipline they had maintained, for their kindness and affection to each other, and in conclusion, exhorted them to go to their home, recruit their energies, again form their companies, and go forth once more maintaining the honor and glory of Georgia, and add new glories to those already won by the 1st Georgia.

At the conclusion of his remarks, three hearty cheers were given by the Regiment, when Adjt. Palmer read the order of discharge, and the regiment was mustered out of service. A resolution of thanks to the citizens of Augusta for their hospitality was passed—Lieut. Col. JAS. O. CLARKE made a few remarks and the large concourse of our citizens dispersed. Most of the regiment will leave for home to-day. We bid them God speed on their journey. Their deportment, during their stay in our city, has been marked by the utmost propriety.


This Saturday I will be in Forsyth, Georgia, at the Mercer University Press table at the Forsythia Festival.  Please stop by to say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment