"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.


Sunday, September 2, 2012

Research Award

I am pleased, proud and humbled to announce that I Will Give Them One More Shot: Ramsey's 1st Regiment Georgia Volunteers has won the 2012 award for "Excellence in Research Using the Holdings of an Archives." This award is one of twelve presented each year by the Georgia Historical Records Advisory Board (GHRAB), a division of the Georgia Archives. I would especially like to thank President Ralph Bass and the rest of the Monroe County Historical Society for nominating I Will Give Them One More Shot for this award. My wife and I will be traveling to Morrow, Georgia, (just south of Atlanta) in October for the awards presentation.

Many hours were spent sifting through information at the Georgia Archives, and I would like to thank Dr. Steven Engerrand and his staff for their excellent assistance. More information about the Archives can be found here, and for the various awards presented by GHRAB here.

No comments:

Post a Comment