"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.


Friday, November 18, 2011

Civil War Monitor Review

Thanks to all who stopped by my table at the Dahlonega Literary Festival.  My wife Cathy accompanied me to this event, and we both made some new friends.
---------------------------------

I am deeply honored to report that "I Will Give Them One More Shot" has received another good review - this one written by Dr. James I. Robertson for the new magazine, "The Civil War Monitor". Dr. Robertson is one of the preeminent scholars of Civil War history, and I was thrilled to read his review of my work.  He writes:  "George Martin’s history of the first of the 1st Georgia Infantry regiments (ten different units bore the title) is a solid contribution to regimental studies. It is as well a fitting tribute to a Confederate force whose campaigning life lasted less than a year."

The entire review can be read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment