"Peculiarly distinguished among the advance guard, where all were distinguished, must be recorded . . . Private J. W. Brown, of Company F, First Georgia Regiment, who, upon hearing the order to fall back, exclaimed, 'I will give them one more shot before I leave,' and while ramming down his twenty-ninth cartridge fell dead at his post." - General Henry R. Jackson in his report of the Battle of Greenbrier River.


Friday, November 11, 2011

Dahlonega Literary Festival

On this Veteran's Day, I would like to take a moment to thank the veterans from all branches who have served and now serve in war and peace for their commitment to secure and preserve the freedoms that we citizens of the United States enjoy. 

----------------------------------------

On the road again this weekend - this time to Dahlonega, Georgia, for the Dahlonega Literary Festival.  My ancestor who served in the First Georgia was a member of the Dahlonega Volunteers, Company "H" of the First.  I will have a table where I will be signing and selling books, and on Saturday morning will be participating in a forum on local history.  I invite all who might be in the neighborhood to stop by and say hi. 

More information on the Festival can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment